(Last Update: 2013-06-03)
How to Apply
Creative Arts Charter School (CACS) is non-sectarian in its programs, admissions policies, employment practices, and all other operations; does not charge tuition; and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability. Admission is for children whose ages meet the current California Education Code requirements and who reside in California.
Priority application deadline: Applications for our lottery are due February 1, 2013 at 3 p.m. Once you've attended a tour you will be emailed a link to our online application.
Subsequent application period: All applications received after February 1, 2013 will be added to the wait pool after lottery is conducted.
Application submission: Applications should be submitted online or mailed with copies of documentation to:
Creative Arts Charter School
1601 Turk Street
San Francisco, CA 94115-4527
Attn: Enrollment Director
Applications can also be dropped into our mail slot at the same address. If you need assistance, please drop by our office from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. any school day, except on Tuesdays when we close at 1:30 p.m. Incomplete or unsigned applications will not be processed.
School tours: A school tour is required. Check out our “Tour Schedule” for dates and times.
Placement offers: Initial offers will be mailed mid-March. You will receive your offer prior to the enrollment deadline for other SFUSD schools so that you can make an informed choice. Subsequent offers will be made on a space available basis.
Student selection: A random public lottery will be scheduled, and the date posted to the public. The lottery is overseen by an SFUSD official. Initial offers will be made based on lottery number order and student selection priority factors.
Student selection priority factors: The school grants priority in admissions according to the following factors:
- Gender balance: CACS shall maintain a gender balance of 50% (+/-10%) in each classroom.
- Advancement/retention: Enrolled students being considered for grade advancement or retention.
- Children of staff: Children related by blood, marriage, or legal adoption of current full-time staff.
- Siblings: Siblings of offered/enrolled students. Siblings are children related to one or more of the same parents by blood, legal adoption, or legal guardianship.
- San Francisco residents: Admission shall be open to all students in California, with admission preference given to residents of San Francisco.
Diversity: CACS actively recruits a diverse student population whose families support the school's mission and educational philosophy. CACS strives to attain a racial and ethnic balance reflective of the city of San Francisco.
Waiting lists: Applicants will remain on the waiting list until enrolled, or until a request to be removed is made. Once an offer is declined, applicants will be removed from the waiting list unless requesting to remain on the waiting list. Applicants who request to remain on the waiting list will forfeit their lottery number and will receive a new number in a subsequent lottery.
Required documentation: The following documentation must be submitted with your application. For verification of birth date, one (1) document is required for all applicants.
Provide a legible copy of your child's birth certificate, hospital record, passport or baptismal certificate. (If document does not contain the parent/guardian name, additional guardianship verification is required.) For verification of parent/guardian, provide a copy of a picture identification. For verification of address, two (2) documents are required for all applicants.
Provide legible copies of the following documents. (The parent or guardian's name
and home address must be listed.) Two (2) proofs of home address that include the name and address of the parent/guardian. Any two(2) of the following original documents dated within the last 45 days need to be provided:
- Utility bill from different agencies such as PG&E, water, cable or garbage. No cell phone bills will be accepted
- Both automobile registration and auto insurance (count as one Proof)
- Homeowner's or renter's insurance policy
- Property tax statement
- Official letter from a social service/government agency
- Grant deed, Title of property or rental/lease agreement with property owner's
For verification of special education services, a copy of the most recent IEP or other applicable documentation is requested.